In Puerto Morelos tranquility reigns with open skies, long stretches of beach and a small town atmosphere. This is the place to come and relax: watch the sunrise on the beach, meet the locals, explore the natural wonders such as the coral reef 500 meters from shore, work on your tan, or simply soak up the serenity.
Wedged between the bustling cities of Cancun and Playa del Carmen, it has maintained its peaceful atmosphere of a charming Mexican fishing village living up to its nickname “La Joya del Caribe” (Jewel of the Caribbean). The community, a mix of locals and foreigners, works hard to protect Puerto’s status as a National Marine Park and keep development to a minimum. Its close proximity to the airports and bus terminals makes Puerto Morelos a perfect base for exploring the Yucatan peninsula.
As the surrounding area outside of Puerto Morelos expands and develops with ‘all inclusive’ resorts, the neighborhoods of Puerto Morelos are comprised of modest homes, low-rise hotels and basic cabañas. Lodging opportunities range from modest palapa-style cabanas with thatched roofs, to air conditioned condo-style hotels with meal plans, spa services, jacuzzis and swimming pools. There’s certainly something to satisfy every taste and budget in Puerto Morelos.
You can get by with English, but Spanish is not superfluous. Most places accept US dollars but not credit cards. Almost all prices are quoted in Mexican pesos and it is generally cheaper to pay in pesos, than in US dollars. There is no bank in town, but several bank cash machines for withdrawals.
Just across the Highway 307, the main north-south route on the peninsula, is Colonia Zetina Gazca, commonly known as “La Colonia.” This inland community is mainly single level dwellings for local Mexicans and a few ex-pats, and contains amenities such as small food stores, pharmacies, and several casual restaurants serving simple fare.
You can do several activities in this little town, but these are some good options to have a nice time with friend an family:
- Sit on the white sand beach in the shade of a thatched palapa
- Visit the Jardin Botanico just outside town and watch out for the spider monkeys.
- Birdwatching in the mangroves.
- Browse the various shops around the central square.
- Visit the Crococun Zoo Enjoy 1 hr tour where, if you are brave enough… you can walk among crocodiles!. The guide will make you have a fantastic (and unforgettable) experience, interacting with parrots, spider monkeys, snakes, deers and many wild animals more. This tour is really fantastic, don’t have to miss it.